Tuesday, April 12, 2011

P≠NP

I did something scary this morning. I sent the final revision of The Obsidian Blade (Book One of The Klaatu Diskos trilogy) to Candlewick, where it will be sent straight to copyediting. Why is that scary? Because the next two books in the trilogy must be true to the first volume, and I HATE being locked in.

This is a problem for me, because according to the Myers Briggs Type Indicator, I am decidedly a "P." Loosely interpreted, that means that where decisions are concerned, I like to stay on the fence as long as possible.  For example, Mary might notice me wearing running shorts and putting on my running shoes, and say, "Are you going for a run?"

"Probably," I say.  Because until I am out the door and running, I might yet change my mind.

Likewise, until the moment I hit the SEND button and dispatched my manuscript twenty minutes ago, I took comfort in the fact that I could still change the name of my protagonist from "Tucker" to "Tiberius," and reorder the chapters one more time, and rework that troubling scene on the roof of Kosh's black barn.

Here's another thumbnail from my notes:

That's Tucker (not Tiberius) confronting a disko in a 2000 year old tomb.

And below is today's Snowmelt Report.  I'm sticking with my final melt day prediction of April 16th. Just because I'm a "P" doesn't mean I don't know how to be stubborn.



No comments: